Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Veggie Corn Chowder (and a national holiday)



Today's a big day for Argentina - not only are we celebrating the yearly revolution day but today is the country's bicentennial. To me, this equates to even more food and fireworks. Weeee! It's traditional to eat stew today, locro in particular. But Guille's mom is out of town and I'm not going to attempt a family dish (but Katie does a good job here). So I spent all day in the kitchen yesterday working on my soup repertoire.

Corn Chowder
  • 2 T. butter
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 T. flour
  • 1/2 red pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 carrot, shredded
  • 1/2 t. thyme
  • 1 can creamed corn
  • 2 c. corn (I used frozen)
  • 1-2 c. vegetable stock
  • 1 c. milk
  • 1/3 c. cream
  • 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
  • black pepper and salt to taste
Saute onion and garlic in butter, when they start to soften whisk in flour, stirring constantly for a minute. Add in pepper and carrot (Add 1 T. EVOO if it's too stiff). It will be pasty but allow to cook for a few minutes. Season with thyme and a shake of salt. Add one cup veggie stock and simmer until veggies are soft. Add creamed corn, milk, and cream. Bring to a boil and add potato and corn - drop heat to a simmer, add salt and a good amount of black pepper to your taste and cook until potatoes are tender (about 20 minutes), adding stock if necessary to thin stew to your preference. You can re-heat this on the stove top with 1/4 c. milk or stock.


Throw in some empanadas! These are from Safyta (Dorrego, entre Mendoza y San Juan) and, yes, that's a little powdered sugar sprinkled on top of humita empanadas. Super delicious.

Here's the chowder and chili on a plate - yep, these are pretty thick. Happy 200!



3 comments:

Katie said...

Your corn chowder sounds really tasty! I have some corn that I have to use up, so I think I'm going to make this for dinner tonight. I like mine a bit thinner - more like soup and less like stew - so I'll just add a little more stock. Thanks for the dinner idea and the shout-out! I hope you enjoyed the 25th. :)

meag said...

Katie, if you like it thinner you can just leave out the flour! I had a great 25th - the fireworks really made my day :)

Katie said...

I made the chowder, and it was really tasty! I tinkered a bit with the recipe (added some smoked pancetta that I had hanging around, used chicken stock instead of veggie). I served it with a salad and some bread, and it made for a very hearty dinner. I'll file this away for the future. Yum.