Saturday, September 12, 2009

Lentil Burgers: Take One


Wow, I've been incredibly busy with work. At some point this past week, I can't honestly remember which day since it's all a blur, I whipped up these lentil burgers from The VeggieTable. I made half of the following recipe and ended up with 6.

Lentil Burgers
  • 1 c. dry lentils, rinsed
  • 2 1/2 c. water
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1 T EVOO
  • 1/2 medium onion, diced
  • 1/2 medium carrot, diced
  • 1/2 t. pepper
  • 1 t. soy sauce
  • 3/4 c. rolled oats, finely ground
  • 3/4 c. bread crumbs
In a sauce pan, salt water, add lentils and bring to a boil. Drop to low and simmer 45 minutes or until tender. Separately, saute onion and carrot in EVOO for 5-10 minutes. Mix all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl, mash slightly, and form mixture into patties.


You can either fry these for a few minutes on each side in a small amount of oil or you can bake them at 200C (400F) for 15-20 minutes. You can also keep these in the fridge for a few days before cooking.

I baked the burgers, flipping half way through. Mine came out a little dry, so I didn't eat it on a bun but served on top of a light salad with mashed potatoes as a side. For Take 2, I'll add more water to the lentils and maybe throw in some sunflower seeds and red pepper. Still, they turned out to be yummy, healthy, and easy.

1 comment:

Gayle said...

They look yummy! Will try. I've turned my meat-eating Argentine hubby into a near-vegetarian with my Pacific fusion cooking here...Want some blueberries from our farm here outside San Nicolas or organic veggies from my German friend Britta's farm here? We are changing the way San Nicolas eats!